Halesworth Town Trail
The birthplace of the town is near the site of the Angel Link, where the trail begins. The Angel Hotel is an ancient coaching inn dating back to the 16th century and a posting house for coaches between London, Ipswich and Norwich. It was also used as a court and council meeting place. A bowls club was formed behind the inn around 1784 and continued at the same site until 1969 when it moved to Dairy Hill (near the Railway Station) to make way for road development. Also behind the Angel Hotel was the Corn Hall, built in 1841. This was used for concerts and dances, then became a cinema in 1925 until it was demolished in 1964. There is archaeological evidence to suggest that the area between the inn and the church was a mediaeval industrial site, with evidence of bronze pin making, pottery, bell casting and leadworking. Many findings are displayed in the Halesworth History Page.
View the Town Trail on the Halesworth Map